- • Monitoring all aspects of Primus Telecommunications Canada’s Voice and Data related Services.
- • Respond to alerts according to urgency according to SLA, ensuring that alert is being acted on both appropriately and in a timely manner. Create request tracker tickets as needed, based on alerts. Follow up at least once per shift on owned tickets.
- • Effectively use the alert systems to identify and troubleshoot network and service platform faults.
- • Identifies trends and reports any discrepancies to Manager and Network Monitoring Specialist.
- • Detailed understanding of fault isolation in order to properly perform troubleshooting of alarms received via network surveillance.
- • Respond and resolve Service problems providing efficient and timely resolution for Primus Canada’s Voice and Data related Services (ie keeping MTTR to lowest value possible).
- • Communicates network outages to appropriate departments in a timely manner via Master Ticket and ensures the necessary groups (internal and external) have the most up to date information.
- • When necessary, report any network troubles to appropriate Telcos and/or Vendors, and escalate accordingly. Interfacing with Telco/Vendor to report network troubles and following up as per Escalation procedure to ensure prompt problem resolution. Note: time to action and escalate is important to keep the MTTR (Mean Time To Resolution) to lowest possible value.
- • Pro-actively identify negative trends, problems, and improper functioning of the network where possible. Develop and implement innovation approaches that present ongoing benefits in areas of improving system/network manageability and reliability.
- • Follow-up on trouble reports to ensure problem resolution is within SLA.
- • Promptly document all problems reported by way of trouble ticket system (detail time spent and post real time notes where ever possible) and always maintain clear and accurate notes/records.
- • Monitor NOCC ticket queue frequently to ensure highest level of service possible (Multitasking skills required), ensuring that tickets are actioned within SLA and follow up is regularly performed.
- • Provide customers with timely notification of Service impacting outages and provide regular and timely updates via Service Status Dashboard (aka Network Status Page) and Email Bulletin systems.
- • Primary for coordinating network maintenance schedules. Notify all departments likely to be affected by network maintenance.
- • Assist with change management processing and follow up.
- • Following up on failed maintenances to investigate the details of why the maintenance failed in order to gauge what measures can be implemented to avoid such failures in the future.
- • Create Part Logistics Work Order for parts tracking when components are used or replaced.
- • Create MACD (Move/Change, Augment/Add, Delete) Work Orders for Testing and Acceptance.
- • Provide customers with timely advanced notification of customer impacting maintenances or high risk maintenances that should not be impacting but have a high threat level.
- • Respond accordingly to 911/PSAP/Police inquiries as per process (Immediately call NOC on-call or manager if required). 911 / PSAP inquiry is critical and will have highest priority as these calls can be life threatening.
- • Provide back up for TAC/VSS and Fraud operations (after TAC/VSS hours of operation)
- • Required to work overtime and off-hours as dictated by network outages and troubles. Weekend and rotating shift work is necessary to ensure 24/7 coverage of NOCC Operations. Participate in NOCC on-call pager program.
- • Provide technical guidance, training, documentation, and mentoring to junior NOC Team members.
- • Actively participates in Weekly Team Meetings to suggest, review, and discuss areas for improvements.
- • Perform additional duties as required and possible assistance on Special Projects.
- • Assist with problem management processing and follow up
NETWORK SURVEILLANCE/ MONITORING
The NOCC Technician will monitor Primus Voice and Data Services. This will be primarily done through the management of alarms via Primus Canada Monitoring Systems.
The following activities are performed:
ANCILLARY SUPPORT FOR VSS AND FRAUDWATCH GROUPS
- • Post-Secondary College education (Certificate/Diploma) in Networking, Telecommunications and/or equivalent.
- • At least 3 years of telecommunication experience in voice and data.
- • Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP, ATM (including maintenance and troubleshooting), and IP Telephony and Voice Switching is encouraged.
- • Advanced knowledge of Windows and Unix platforms, technical knowledge (including maintenance and troubleshooting) of their respective TCP/IP stacks.
- • Strong interpersonal skills for effective interaction with clients and third parties.
- • Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to customer clients and vendors via telephone as well as email in a professional and efficient manner.
- • Knowledge of Internet networking and associated hardware.
- • Recent experience providing exceptional customer service to external clients
- • Required: Cisco Certified Network Associate or higher Certification that is current (not expired). Experience in lieu of Professional accreditation will be evaluated.
- • Working knowledge of – MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- • Ability to create and interpret technical documents and reports.
- • Good problem solving and decision making skills.
- • Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- • Ability to multitask under pressure in a team environment
This description is intended as a guide to reflect the principal functions of the job. However, it is not an all-inclusive listing of the required job functions.
Please submit your application for this position by Applying Online
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in the workplace, are committed to Employment Equity and will provide reasonable workplace accommodation to applicants with disabilities. All interested individuals, including those who consider themselves to be aboriginal, visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies and/or telephone applications please.